By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Scoopico
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
Reading: TSA PreCheck is open at airports, agency says, hours after DHS announced suspension
Share
Font ResizerAa
ScoopicoScoopico
Search

Search

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel

Latest Stories

TSA says PreCheck is still operational after DHS head Noem said it was suspended due to shutdown
TSA says PreCheck is still operational after DHS head Noem said it was suspended due to shutdown
Jack Hughes after gold-winning goal: ‘I love the USA’
Jack Hughes after gold-winning goal: ‘I love the USA’
Saquon Barkley Calls New Eagles OC Sean Mannion’s System ‘Refreshing’
Saquon Barkley Calls New Eagles OC Sean Mannion’s System ‘Refreshing’
Metro Vancouver Black Population Surges 38%, Builds Community Ties
Metro Vancouver Black Population Surges 38%, Builds Community Ties
The space junk doomsday scenario is getting closer
The space junk doomsday scenario is getting closer
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved
TSA PreCheck is open at airports, agency says, hours after DHS announced suspension
News

TSA PreCheck is open at airports, agency says, hours after DHS announced suspension

Scoopico
Last updated: February 22, 2026 4:20 pm
Scoopico
Published: February 22, 2026
Share
SHARE


Passengers walk through the entrance of a TSA PreCheck in Terminal One at O’Hare International Airport Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017, in Chicago. (Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

Armando L. Sanchez | Chicago Tribune | Getty Images

The Transportation Security Administration said on Sunday that its PreCheck airport screening lanes are operational, hours after the Department of Homeland Security said the faster security checkpoint services would be paused amid the partial government shutdown.

“At this time, TSA PreCheck remains operational with no change for the traveling public,” TSA officials said in a statement. “As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly. Courtesy escorts, such as those for Members of Congress, have been suspended to allow officers to focus on the mission of securing America’s skies.”

The pause in the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs was initially scheduled to take effect at 6 a.m. ET on Sunday, DHS said.

The move comes as the U.S. Northeast braces for a massive winter storm that could disrupt airline flights for days.

“TSA and CBP are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts,” DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement.

TSA PreCheck has more than 20 million active members, according to an agency count in 2024.

“PreCheck members accounted for 34 percent of passengers screened at airport checkpoints,” The New York Times reported in August 2025, citing a TSA spokesman. The program is available at more than 200 U.S. airports, the newspaper noted.

The pause in TSA PreCheck and Global Entry security programs is a result of the partial government shutdown that began on Feb. 14, following congressional lawmakers’ failure to reach a deal to fund DHS.

Airlines have canceled more than 6,000 flights through Monday and waived cancellation and change fees for airports spanning Virginia to Maine ahead of the East Coast blizzard.

Travel industry members sharply criticized the move, which comes just months after last year’s federal government shutdown affected air travel and dented bookings, according to executives.

“A4A is deeply concerned that TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs are being suspended and that the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown,” said Airlines for America CEO Chris Sununu. The group represents American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines and other major carriers.

“The announcement was issued with extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly, which is especially troubling at this time of record air travel,” he added.

The government shutdown in the fall, the longest ever, cost the travel industry and other sectors $6.1 billion, the group said. Those disruptions affected about 6 million travelers.

Read more CNBC airline news

The U.S. Travel Association, which represents major hotel chains and many other businesses in the industry, called DHS’s move “extremely disappointing.”

“We are disgusted that over the last 90 days, Democrats and Republicans have used air traffic controllers, TSA, CBP and the entire travel experience as a means to achieve political ends,” it said in a statement.

This story is developing. Please refresh for updates.

[/gpt3]

Iran, European powers to renew nuclear talks as 'snapback' sanctions loom
Lethal flash floods in Moroccan coastal city of Safi after heavy rainfall
Trump, Russ Vought eye extra funding cuts
Morocco vows social reforms after youth-led protests shake authorities
Israeli strike on Gaza’s Nasser Hospital kills at the very least 20, together with 5 journalists, well being officers say
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

POPULAR

TSA says PreCheck is still operational after DHS head Noem said it was suspended due to shutdown
Money

TSA says PreCheck is still operational after DHS head Noem said it was suspended due to shutdown

Jack Hughes after gold-winning goal: ‘I love the USA’
News

Jack Hughes after gold-winning goal: ‘I love the USA’

Saquon Barkley Calls New Eagles OC Sean Mannion’s System ‘Refreshing’
Sports

Saquon Barkley Calls New Eagles OC Sean Mannion’s System ‘Refreshing’

Metro Vancouver Black Population Surges 38%, Builds Community Ties
top

Metro Vancouver Black Population Surges 38%, Builds Community Ties

The space junk doomsday scenario is getting closer
Tech

The space junk doomsday scenario is getting closer

US beats Canada for first men’s hockey gold at the Olympics since 1980
U.S.

US beats Canada for first men’s hockey gold at the Olympics since 1980

Scoopico

Stay ahead with Scoopico — your source for breaking news, bold opinions, trending culture, and sharp reporting across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. No fluff. Just the scoop.

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?