The U.S. Supreme Court struck down President Donald Trump’s global tariffs in a 6-3 ruling on Friday, delivering a massive blow to the White House’s trade war. “The Government thus concedes that the President enjoys no inherent authority to impose tariffs during peacetime,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the court’s opinion.
This upholds a lower court decision that argued the U.S. president does not have the authority to use the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) to impose duties. More than 60 percent of total tariff revenue last year stemmed from duties imposed under the IEEPA, according to the Cato Institute. Economists told Reuters on Friday that more than $175 billion in U.S. tariff collections are at risk of being refunded due to the ruling.
The U.S. Supreme Court struck down President Donald Trump’s global tariffs in a 6-3 ruling on Friday, delivering a massive blow to the White House’s trade war. “The Government thus concedes that the President enjoys no inherent authority to impose tariffs during peacetime,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the court’s opinion.
This upholds a lower court decision that argued the U.S. president does not have the authority to use the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) to impose duties. More than 60 percent of total tariff revenue last year stemmed from duties imposed under the IEEPA, according to the Cato Institute. Economists told Reuters on Friday that more than $175 billion in U.S. tariff collections are at risk of being refunded due to the ruling.
The Trump administration has yet to comment on the Supreme Court’s ruling.
Read some of FP’s recent stories about the Supreme Court tariffs case here and here.
This is a developing story. Stay tuned for further updates.
This post is part of FP’s ongoing coverage of the Trump administration. Follow along here.

