By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Scoopico
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
Reading: Remaining slavery exhibits at President’s House in Philadelphia don’t need to be restored for now, judge rules
Share
Font ResizerAa
ScoopicoScoopico
Search

Search

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel

Latest Stories

Kit Wilson gives Oba Femi an unbelievable new nickname on SmackDown
Kit Wilson gives Oba Femi an unbelievable new nickname on SmackDown
France vs. Italy 2026 livestream: Watch Six Nations for free
France vs. Italy 2026 livestream: Watch Six Nations for free
Face/Off Star Dominique Swain: Career Now and Boyfriend
Face/Off Star Dominique Swain: Career Now and Boyfriend
Conan O’Brien breaks silence over killing of Rob and Michele Reiner
Conan O’Brien breaks silence over killing of Rob and Michele Reiner
Trump’s Economy, One Year Later
Trump’s Economy, One Year Later
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved
Remaining slavery exhibits at President’s House in Philadelphia don’t need to be restored for now, judge rules
U.S.

Remaining slavery exhibits at President’s House in Philadelphia don’t need to be restored for now, judge rules

Scoopico
Last updated: February 21, 2026 2:56 am
Scoopico
Published: February 21, 2026
Share
SHARE


Contents
More from CBS NewsGo deeper with The Free Press

Remaining slavery exhibits at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia do not need to be put back up for now after a last-minute ruling from an appeals court.

Third Circuit Judge Thomas Hardiman granted the Trump administration a partial stay shortly before it was set to miss a court-mandated 5 p.m. deadline to restore a series of exhibits and educational materials on the history of slavery at the site. Hardiman was appointed by former President George W. Bush.

Hardiman’s order calls to “preserve the status quo” at the site, meaning panels that have been put back up should stay, while those that haven’t don’t need to be reinstalled for now.

National Park Service crews have been reinstalling displays over the past two days. Crews continued to reinstall panels Friday, though the rain seemed to halt their progress.

Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker briefly visited the site Thursday and thanked NPS workers for carefully restoring the displays.

“Today we celebrate the return of our history at this important site,” Parker said in a statement released later in the day. “We are thankful for all the supporters across the city to get us to this point. We know that this is not the end of the legal road. We will handle all legal challenges that arise with the same rigor and gravity as we have done thus far.”

Slavery displays were reinstalled at the President’s House in Philadelphia on Thursday.

CBS Philadelphia


On Jan. 22, 2026, the informational signs were removed with almost no warning to the shock of many city leaders and activists.

The city of Philadelphia quickly filed a lawsuit in federal court to have the signs put back. Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro and several of the surrounding suburban counties filed amicus briefs in support of the city’s suit and accused President Trump of attempting to “rewrite and whitewash” history.

Earlier this month, a judge ordered the exhibits and related items be safely stored while the legal battle continued.

On Feb. 16, the judge ordered the Trump administration to restore the historic site to the way it was before the signs were removed. As part of the order, Judge Cynthia M. Rufe said federal officials needed to keep all of the items safe and undamaged, and couldn’t install any “replacement materials” without a mutual agreement with the City of Philadelphia.

Slavery exhibits reinstalled at the President's House in Philadelphia

Slavery exhibits reinstalled at the President’s House in Philadelphia

CBS Philadelphia


The Trump administration filed an appeal the following day. In a statement, a Department of the Interior spokesperson said, “Updated interpretive materials providing a fuller account of the history of slavery at Independence Hall would have been installed in the coming days,” though didn’t provide details on what those “updated materials” would entail.

The exhibits were removed by the NPS nearly nine months after Mr. Trump issued an executive order called “Restoring Truth and Sanity to American History.” The President’s House Site, which was once the home of Presidents George Washington and John Adams, included displays about nine enslaved people who once lived there.

The Avenging The Ancestors Coalition, an organization of African American historians, activists and more, was among the leaders of the effort to get the slavery exhibit signage restored. 

The group gathered at the President’s House Thursday and celebrated the city’s win in court. 

“We were ecstatic,” Michael Coard, of the ATAC, said. “But we understand that this is a lawless administration. And even if we win in the courts, we don’t know they’re going to do the right thing with it. But first, we gotta win in the courts.”

Thursday’s sight came as a shock to some Philadelphians who came to the site expecting to take photos of bare walls. Mary Ann Cardillino says she rushed over after her husband saw the news. She had been to several rallies supporting the restoration of the displays. Seeing them back was emotional for her.

“Well, it’s important. It’s important,” Cardillino said. “It happened. It happened, and it’s part of our history. You can’t deny it. This is not just about 6th and Market. It’s not just about Philadelphia. It’s not just about Pennsylvania. This was the right thing to do for our country.”

“I am hopefully optimistic that, based on what has happened since they were taken down, the outrage that flew across the country, if not the world, that this decision will stand,” said Fred Miller, who also visited the President’s House Site on Thursday.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Sweden defeats USA in mixed doubles curling final
Division of Homeland Safety officers concerned in capturing
NATO fighters scrambled in Poland as Russia bombards Ukraine
Deaths in ICE custody increase severe questions, lawmakers say
American teen detained in Antarctica whereas making an attempt solo flight to 7 continents
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

POPULAR

Kit Wilson gives Oba Femi an unbelievable new nickname on SmackDown
Sports

Kit Wilson gives Oba Femi an unbelievable new nickname on SmackDown

France vs. Italy 2026 livestream: Watch Six Nations for free
Tech

France vs. Italy 2026 livestream: Watch Six Nations for free

Face/Off Star Dominique Swain: Career Now and Boyfriend
Entertainment

Face/Off Star Dominique Swain: Career Now and Boyfriend

Conan O’Brien breaks silence over killing of Rob and Michele Reiner
U.S.

Conan O’Brien breaks silence over killing of Rob and Michele Reiner

Trump’s Economy, One Year Later
Politics

Trump’s Economy, One Year Later

Shannen Doherty, Eric Dane and More Charmed Actors Who Died Too Soon
Entertainment

Shannen Doherty, Eric Dane and More Charmed Actors Who Died Too Soon

Scoopico

Stay ahead with Scoopico — your source for breaking news, bold opinions, trending culture, and sharp reporting across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. No fluff. Just the scoop.

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?