Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday, February 19, reported the BBC. Thursday marks Andrew’s 66th birthday.
The U.K.’s Thames Valley Police said in a statement on Thursday that it has “arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.” It added that searches are being carried out in Berkshire and Norfolk.
The police force said it would not be identifying the man per national guidance, though multiple outlets, including the BBC, identified Andrew as the person arrested.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement, “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offense,” he continued. “We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
According to the BBC, Andrew was arrested early Thursday morning at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, England, where he moved after leaving his house in Windsor. Unmarked police cars were reportedly seen in the vicinity of the former prince’s home.
Us Weekly has reached out to Andrew’s lawyer and Buckingham Palace for comment.
Earlier this month, the Thames Valley Police confirmed to the BBC that it was assessing allegations that Andrew shared confidential information with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while serving as a U.K. trade envoy. He held that role between 2001 and 2011.
The police department also confirmed earlier in February that it was assessing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the U.K. by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Andrew, following a BBC report. The encounter allegedly occurred at Andrew’s former residence, Royal Lodge in Windsor, in 2010, the BBC reported on February 2.
In October 2025, Buckingham Palace announced that Andrew’s brother King Charles III was stripping Andrew of his royal style, titles and honors amid mounting scrutiny over sexual assault allegations and his association with Epstein. Andrew has always maintained his innocence and denied any wrongdoing
“Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. His lease on Royal Lodge has, to date, provided him with legal protection to continue in residence,” the palace said in a statement at the time. “Formal notice has now been served to surrender the lease and he will move to alternative private accommodation. These censures are deemed necessary, notwithstanding the fact that he continues to deny the allegations against him.”
Earlier in October, Andrew said he would no longer make use of his royal title.
“In discussion with The King, and my immediate and wider family, we have concluded the continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty and the Royal Family,” Andrew said in a statement at the time. “I have decided, as I always have, to put my duty to my family and country first. I stand by my decision five years ago to stand back from public life. With His Majesty’s agreement, we feel I must now go a step further. I will therefore no longer use my title or the honors which have been conferred upon me. As I have said previously, I vigorously deny the accusations against me.”
Andrew’s royal downfall began in 2019 when Virginia Giuffre accused Andrew of sexually assaulting her when she was 17 after being trafficked by Epstein. Giuffre, who died by suicide in April 2025 at age 41, settled a lawsuit against Andrew for an undisclosed amount of money in 2022. Andrew has always denied her allegations.
Epstein, meanwhile, died by suicide in August 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges. He was 66.



