Married At First Sight contestant Luke Fourniotis has shared the key reason he decided to remain in the experiment despite Melissa Akbay’s public declaration of ‘no spark’ during Sunday’s episode.
Choosing Positivity Over Exit
The 30-year-old farmer seriously contemplated leaving after the rejection in front of the group but opted to stay. He emphasized giving the experts an opportunity to guide the process.
‘It didn’t feel right to leave the show without even giving the experts a chance,’ Luke stated.
Luke described the toll on his self-assurance, noting he had become a mere shadow of himself within the experiment.
‘I’d become an absolute shadow of myself. I lost my confidence and I just really didn’t like it,’ he said. ‘I didn’t want to leave on that note. I didn’t want to leave with animosity towards Mel. I didn’t want everyone to look back at the experience and think it was just horrible.’
Public Rejection’s Emotional Impact
Melissa’s comments about lacking a fairy tale romance and no spark stung deeply, especially delivered publicly. Though not the first time hearing it, the group setting amplified the vulnerability.
‘Hearing it in front of the whole group makes you feel even more vulnerable,’ Luke explained. ‘It’s almost embarrassing being on the receiving end of that.’
Plan for a Relationship Reset
Despite the hurt, Luke holds out hope for rebuilding from friendship basics, sidelining intimacy, romance, and physical touch.
‘Forget about intimacy, forget about romance, even physical touch – none of it,’ he said. ‘We just need to work on becoming friends first because up until now we’ve never been able to do that.’
He anticipates a distinct Intimacy Week for them compared to other couples.
Experts’ Wake-Up Call
During the Commitment Ceremony, experts confronted Melissa on issues blocking progress, which Luke viewed positively without wanting attacks on her.
‘I never want the experts to come for Mel,’ he said. ‘But it was beneficial that they were able to call out some of the things that were actually hindering progress. It gave me a sense of hope.’
Blindsided by Private Talks
Scenes of Melissa critiquing their dynamic to other brides, citing ‘no green flags, no red flags,’ left Luke devastated despite his efforts.
‘I was putting my best foot forward and trying the best that I could,’ he reflected. ‘It was so upsetting. It hurt more than anything.’
Post-airing, some brides distanced themselves, which puzzled him until the conversations surfaced.
‘I remember walking down the corridor and a few of the girls kind of brushed me off. I was thinking, “What have I done wrong?”‘ he said. ‘It all made sense when I saw what had been said.’
Denying Rumors
Luke refuted claims of prompting his sisters’ negative online comments about Melissa, noting they were deleted beforehand at his request to avoid poor reflection on himself. He also dismissed speculation about orchestrating media coverage.
‘The comments had already been deleted before she even brought it up,’ he insisted. ‘I asked my sisters to delete them because it reflected poorly on me. I haven’t been talking badly about her. That’s just not fair.’
‘That’s completely not true,’ he added regarding media coordination.
While no romantic feelings had developed, Luke sought basic connection and camaraderie.
‘I wouldn’t say I had feelings for Mel,’ he admitted. ‘But I really wanted to break through and just get along, have some laughs and chill out. I really wanted to form some sort of connection.’
Married At First Sight Australia airs Tuesdays at 7:30pm on Channel Nine.

