By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Scoopico
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
Reading: Kennedy Center to close for construction for 2 years, Trump says
Share
Font ResizerAa
ScoopicoScoopico
Search

Search

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel

Latest Stories

American headliners taking backseat to upstarts so far at Olympics
American headliners taking backseat to upstarts so far at Olympics
Men’s College Basketball Top-25 Rankings
Men’s College Basketball Top-25 Rankings
Today’s Hurdle hints and answers for February 16, 2026
Today’s Hurdle hints and answers for February 16, 2026
Savannah Guthrie pleads for person who took her mother to come forward
Savannah Guthrie pleads for person who took her mother to come forward
Trump’s Presidential Pardons Follow Ford’s Pardon of Richard Nixon Still Matters
Trump’s Presidential Pardons Follow Ford’s Pardon of Richard Nixon Still Matters
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved
Kennedy Center to close for construction for 2 years, Trump says
U.S.

Kennedy Center to close for construction for 2 years, Trump says

Scoopico
Last updated: February 2, 2026 12:50 am
Scoopico
Published: February 2, 2026
Share
SHARE


Contents
More from CBS NewsGo deeper with The Free Press

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts will close for approximately two years for “Construction, Revitalization, and Complete Rebuilding,” President Trump announced on Sunday.

Complete closure of the performing arts center in Washington, D.C., will start on July 4, Mr. Trump said in a social media post. The decision to fully close the center over a partial construction came after a year of review by experts, the president said.

“The temporary closure will produce a much faster and higher quality result!,” Mr. Trump wrote on Truth Social. “This important decision, based on input from many Highly Respected Experts, will take a tired, broken, and dilapidated Center, one that has been in bad condition, both financially and structurally for many years, and turn it into a World Class Bastion of Arts, Music, and Entertainment, far better than it has ever been before.”

The announcement comes as several high-profile performers scheduled to appear at the U.S. capital’s leading performing arts venue announced they were pulling out following Mr. Trump’s takeover. On Thursday, Mr. Trump hosted a premiere of the Melania Trump documentary “Melania” at the Kennedy Center. 

It was unclear what the renovations would entail and what exactly Mr. Trump meant by a “Complete Rebuilding.” The president last year had much of the East Wing of the White House demolished to make way for a new ballroom, the future of which is currently the subject of an ongoing lawsuit seeking to halt its construction.

Staffers at the Kennedy Center told CBS News they learned of renovation plans on Sunday evening from Mr. Trump’s social media post.

“I don’t know what any of it means,” said one senior staffer, granted anonymity because they’re not authorized to speak publicly about Kennedy Center operations. 

Mr. Trump on Sunday said the center’s closure is subject to approval by Kennedy Center board members. The president ousted a group of Kennedy Center board members last February and installed close allies as replacements, who then voted to name him chair.

In December, the center’s board voted to rename the organization as the Trump-Kennedy Center, and the president’s name was added to the exterior of the building. The move drew outrage from Democratic lawmakers, who argued the name can’t be changed without legislation because the center was created by Congress.

CBS News has reached out to the Kennedy Center for comment.  

Joe Walsh

contributed to this report.

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

Indiana home-owner charged in capturing demise of home cleaner who confirmed up at improper tackle
The Aaron Rodgers experiment is beginning to crumble
Microsoft quickly ends up being the 2nd firm to strike $4 trillion in market price
An issue with DWP’s water system leaves 1000’s with out service
Video Beloved March Insanity icon Sister Jean dies at 106
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

POPULAR

American headliners taking backseat to upstarts so far at Olympics
News

American headliners taking backseat to upstarts so far at Olympics

Men’s College Basketball Top-25 Rankings
Sports

Men’s College Basketball Top-25 Rankings

Today’s Hurdle hints and answers for February 16, 2026
Tech

Today’s Hurdle hints and answers for February 16, 2026

Savannah Guthrie pleads for person who took her mother to come forward
U.S.

Savannah Guthrie pleads for person who took her mother to come forward

Trump’s Presidential Pardons Follow Ford’s Pardon of Richard Nixon Still Matters
Politics

Trump’s Presidential Pardons Follow Ford’s Pardon of Richard Nixon Still Matters

Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco Dine at L.A. Hotspot Max and Helen’s
Entertainment

Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco Dine at L.A. Hotspot Max and Helen’s

Scoopico

Stay ahead with Scoopico — your source for breaking news, bold opinions, trending culture, and sharp reporting across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. No fluff. Just the scoop.

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?