By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Scoopico
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
Reading: At least 1 killed in Iranian port city blast ahead of Iran’s naval drill in the Strait of Hormuz
Share
Font ResizerAa
ScoopicoScoopico
Search

Search

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel

Latest Stories

College Basketball 2025-2026 Buzz: Koa Peat Injured, KSU Fires Jerome Tang
College Basketball 2025-2026 Buzz: Koa Peat Injured, KSU Fires Jerome Tang
Best portable power station deal: Save 39% on the DJI Power 1000 V2
Best portable power station deal: Save 39% on the DJI Power 1000 V2
MAFS Luke Fourniotis Explains Staying After Melissa’s ‘No Spark’ Snub
MAFS Luke Fourniotis Explains Staying After Melissa’s ‘No Spark’ Snub
FBI analyzing DNA found on black glove in Nancy Guthrie case as authorities clear family
FBI analyzing DNA found on black glove in Nancy Guthrie case as authorities clear family
Quinton Aaron Focused on Recovery, Sad ‘Wife’ Is Married to Another Man
Quinton Aaron Focused on Recovery, Sad ‘Wife’ Is Married to Another Man
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved
At least 1 killed in Iranian port city blast ahead of Iran’s naval drill in the Strait of Hormuz
News

At least 1 killed in Iranian port city blast ahead of Iran’s naval drill in the Strait of Hormuz

Scoopico
Last updated: February 1, 2026 2:38 am
Scoopico
Published: February 1, 2026
Share
SHARE


Contents
More from CBS NewsGo deeper with The Free Press

One day before a planned naval drill by Iran in the Strait of Hormuz, an explosion tore through an apartment building Saturday in the Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas, which sits on the strait.

The blast killed a 4-year-old girl as local media footage purportedly showed a security force member being carried out by rescuers.

Iran is planning a naval drill Sunday and Monday in the strait, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of all oil traded passes. The U.S. military has warned Iran not to threaten its warships or commercial traffic in the strait.

State television quoted a local fire official as blaming the blast on a gas leak. Media reported at least 14 others injured in the explosion.

An apartment building is seen after an explosion in the southern port city of Bandar Abbas, Iran, on Jan. 31, 2026. 

Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP


A local newspaper, Sobh-e Sahel, aired footage of a correspondent speaking in front of the building. The footage included a sequence that showed a man in a green security force uniform being carried out on a stretcher. He wore a neck brace and appeared to be in pain, his left hand covering the branch insignia on his uniform.

The newspaper did not acknowledge the security force member being carried out elsewhere in its reporting. Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard did not discuss the blast, other than to deny that a Guard navy commander had been hurt.

Another explosion blamed on a gas explosion Saturday in the southwestern city of Ahvaz killed five people, state media reported.

Iran remains tense over a threat by President Trump to potentially launch a military strike on the country over the killing of peaceful protesters or the possible mass execution of those detained in a major crackdown over the demonstrations.

Speaking to CBS News Thursday night on the red carpet of the “Melania” premiere — the documentary that provides an inside look at the life of first lady Melania Trump in the days following her husband’s 2024 election victory — Mr. Trump said “I have had” conversations with Iran in the last few days, and “I am planning” to have more.

Mr. Trump said that, in those conversations, he “told them two things. No. 1, no nuclear. And No. 2, stop killing protesters. They’re killing them by the thousands.”

At least 10 U.S. warships — including an aircraft carrier and at least five destroyers — were heading toward Iran’s coastal waters on Friday.

“We have a lot of very big, very powerful ships sailing to Iran right now,” Mr. Trump told CBS News Thursday. “And it would be great if we didn’t have to use them.” 

Ali Larijani, a top security official in Iran, wrote on X late Saturday that “structural arrangements for negotiations are progressing.” CBS News on Friday sought clarification from the White House about any ongoing direct negotiations between the Trump administration and Tehran.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi on Saturday called for de-escalation and said Egypt is working to bring the U.S. and Iran to the negotiating table to achieve a “peaceful and comprehensive settlement to the Iranian nuclear file,” according to a statement on his phone call with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian.

Qatar in a statement said Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani visited Tehran on Saturday and met with Larijani about “efforts to de-escalate tensions in the region.”

More from CBS News

Go deeper with The Free Press

In:

[/gpt3]

Trump says Kirk suspect is in custody on Fox Information
West Virginia governor deploys tons of of Nationwide Guard troops to Washington
American Jordan Stolz takes gold in speedskating
Magnitude 7.8 earthquake strikes off Russia’s coast
Niger needs solutions after largest piece of Mars offered at public sale for greater than $5 million
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

POPULAR

College Basketball 2025-2026 Buzz: Koa Peat Injured, KSU Fires Jerome Tang
Sports

College Basketball 2025-2026 Buzz: Koa Peat Injured, KSU Fires Jerome Tang

Best portable power station deal: Save 39% on the DJI Power 1000 V2
Tech

Best portable power station deal: Save 39% on the DJI Power 1000 V2

MAFS Luke Fourniotis Explains Staying After Melissa’s ‘No Spark’ Snub
Entertainment

MAFS Luke Fourniotis Explains Staying After Melissa’s ‘No Spark’ Snub

FBI analyzing DNA found on black glove in Nancy Guthrie case as authorities clear family
U.S.

FBI analyzing DNA found on black glove in Nancy Guthrie case as authorities clear family

Quinton Aaron Focused on Recovery, Sad ‘Wife’ Is Married to Another Man
Entertainment

Quinton Aaron Focused on Recovery, Sad ‘Wife’ Is Married to Another Man

Declutter Your Life: Why Moving Is the Perfect Time to Start Fresh
Life

Declutter Your Life: Why Moving Is the Perfect Time to Start Fresh

Scoopico

Stay ahead with Scoopico — your source for breaking news, bold opinions, trending culture, and sharp reporting across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. No fluff. Just the scoop.

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • True Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Life
  • Money
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

2025 Copyright © Scoopico. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?